Thursday, April 12, 2007

Personal Learning Activity # 2: Reading for Fun

The activity I chose for this week was to leisurely read for at least 20-30 minutes. My objectives were to devote some personal time to an activity that I love and try to unwind after a long or busy day. Since the only real time available to read was at night before bed, one of my methods included finishing homework and getting ready for bed earlier than usual, that way I could have at least some time to read one chapter. There really wasn't a way to properly assess this. I just know that my reading comprehension of books I read for leisure is much higher than when I read texts for college. I find that fact peculiar, but I guess it is all based on motivation: if I don't find the material interesting/enjoyable, I definitely won't be motivated to read it (but reluctanly continue because of the pressure to do well in classes); conversely, if I like the material I'm reading, my motivation to continue is high. My motivation was very high because reading is something I love to do and rarely have any time to read for leisure, except during the summer. This motivation I describe is that of intrinsic motivation, or motivation that is stimulated by personal interests (Woolfolk 373). It's really sad that I can't even do an activity that I love during the school year because of superfluous amounts of homework. I wish I could find time to read books for fun--not college texts that drain all energy and motivation from me--throughout the school year. That's why I chose this particular activity, because I was able to do something that makes me happy and in which I find great pleasure:)

No comments: