Friday, April 20, 2007

Personal Learning Activity # 3: No More Gesticulating!

Yes, I am one of those people who ALWAYS talks with her hands. Sometimes I depend on my gesticulations to make up for a lack of diction I might be experiencing certain days. Anyway, it's not really that much of a problem, but I've been more observant of other people and notice they barely gesticulate. Sometimes I feel it distracts my listener(s) from what I'm saying; so, my goal for this week was to test myself and see if I could stop gesticulating; also, if it makes a difference in my listener's perceived attention.
Methods for no more gesticulating is pretty self-explanatory: abstain from using my hands. It was pretty tough, and sometimes (many times) I couldn't help myself from gesticulating. I found it a little annoying that it just came naturally; I made a conscious effort to stop, but in many cases it didn't work. The times that I was successful and didn't use my hands occurred as a result of making more eye contact with others (which is another thing I'm desperately trying to improve). I found that if I concentrate on the person's eyes, I am less aware of my hands and more aware of the words I'm trying to say.
Assessing myself is also easy because either I would give in and use my hands, or I wouldn't. I think I failed at this because in more instances than not, I used my hands. Oh, well. It was worth a try and is something I will continually try to improve or prevent from doing.
My motivation for this was pretty high, I guess. Again, it is something I've become aware that I do--almost incessantly. My friends politely make fun of my gestures and try to imitate me. It's funny, but it makes me feel embarrassed--knowing that I use my hands all the time to convey the point I'm trying to make.
This week's reading seems to allude to the power of gestures--which is ultimately a good thing. It talks how teachers can encourage kids to collaborate and cooperate with peers, and to do so successfully, we have to demonstrate respect and caring for others and their opinions. A simple gesture, such as a thumb's up, is a good way to motivate, comfort, and encourage others. On the contrary, pointing at someone/singling them out is not respectful and only makes a child feel isolated or hurt. Teachers who really care and express it are the most effective. In one study, students reported that caring teachers are the ones who "asked if something was wrong when they [students] seemed upset," or whose "disciplinary procedures are fair and respectful" (Woolfolk 432). Woolfolk also says, "teachers trust and respect their students and care about them as learners and as people" (432). In my opinion, by showing proper gestures, or for those who don't gesture, students will be able to tell if you really care if you express it in your gestures or the amount of eye contact.

No comments: